Connecting Delaware to our world
The Delaware Museum of Natural History has embarked on the most ambitious and significant capital campaign since our doors opened to the public in 1972. Our goal is a complete reinvention—a metamorphosis—to meet the community need for a regional leader in formal and informal science education. Even our name will change to the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science.
Reimagining our main galleries, public spaces, and outdoor campus is at the heart of this metamorphosis. By switching from static dioramas to interactive, ecosystem-based engagements, the new Delaware Museum of Nature and Science will inspire people to discover, examine, and uncover the wonders of science in the natural world. The new Museum will be the go-to place to learn about our world, how we are connected, and how we can make a difference.
Our transformation has already begun—and you are invited to be part of it. Help us achieve our Museum Metamorphosis with a pledge or gift today.
Preliminary Exhibit Plan
Each wing of the transformed Museum will be organized by ecosystem.
- Discover the amazing biodiversity of our area in the Delaware Regional Journey Gallery
- Explore how we are all connected in the Global Ecosystems Journey Gallery
- Travel back in time and roam with dinosaurs in the PaleoZone
- Trace the evolution of life on Earth along the 1,500-foot Evolution Trail
- Connect nature with science in compelling and unexpected ways in the Discovery Gallery
- Learn about cutting-edge science at
universities and conservation organizations in the Research Headquarters
Explore the New Exhibits
Rollover Image below to learn more.
Explore the New Exhibits
Tap Image below to learn more.
Carry the concepts of exploration and discovery out to the natural world.
A dynamic, and flexible, starting point for navigating through the Museum.
Explore the biodiversity of Delaware with hands-on activities.
Be transported around the world and experience the planet’s most amazing ecosystems.
What was in Delaware during the Cretaceous?
Our community spoke. We listened.
The time to transform is now.
With extensive input from focus groups, community partners, stakeholder outreach, and experts in the field, we have developed an exciting new vision: break down the barriers limiting typical natural history museums and place our guests at the center of nature and science.
To achieve this, we must make a significant investment. The resulting transformation will create powerful opportunities to reach, connect, educate, inspire, and motivate the current stewards of Earth and generations to come.
The budget for the Museum’s Capital Campaign is $9.8 million, which includes design and construction of the new exhibits and outdoor components, installing an updated sprinkler system, and developing the new Museum’s brand.
By May 2021, six government entities (federal, state, county), 25 corporations, 25 foundations, and 243 individuals contributed 63 percent of our goal, demonstrating their confidence in the future path of the Museum.
Your investment in Museum Metamorphosis: Connecting Delaware to Our World will:
- Help develop a caring society that respects and values our planet
- Contribute to Delaware’s economic vitality with nature and science programming at an affordable price
- Lay the foundation for STEM-related job training with high-quality nature and science education
- Broaden and expand the Museum’s reach and impact, with an emphasis on underserved audiences